Today’s Key Scripture
“Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
— Ephesians 6:11
A prepared soldier will not go into battle without the appropriate preparation and armor. Here is our armor, given in the Ephesians 6:
- Loins girt about with truth (Ephesians 6:14). Our loins refer to our mind.
- The breastplate of righteousness (6:14). The breastplate covers the vital organs and speaks of our heart.
- Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (6:15). The Word of God must affect our walk, our life.
- The shield of faith (6:16). Faith brings powerful results.
- The helmet of salvation (6:17). The helmet of salvation concerns our nature, our character, and our deeply held beliefs.
- The sword of the Spirit (6:17). The Scriptures protect you against the enemy.
- Prayer and supplication (6:18). It certainly seems no accident that the final weapon is what keeps and covers us like a mantle. The Bible encourages us to pray in the Spirit, preparing ourselves for victory by spending time on our knees.
A spiritual battle requires spiritual weaponry, of course, but prowess in using that weaponry comes through spending time with our Supreme Commander, becoming strong and established, even as we prepare for war.
A Prayer for Today
O Lord God, my heavenly Father, I want to thank You with all my heart this morning for the spiritual weaponry You have provided for the challenges I face every day. You graciously preserve Me with truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, the sword of the Spirit, and prayer. You cover me like a mantle, protecting me from all evil and helping me offensively to win every battle. The victory is already won, and all the glory goes to You. I pray this in the name of the Author and Finisher of my faith, Jesus, amen.
*All Scripture references are NKJV unless otherwise noted.